Skip to main content

Odd Behavior When creating BAT Files with PowerShell

Just the fact the I’m using PowerShell to create BAT files is odd enough.  This pesky little problem cost me many hours of precious time.  Essentially, I’m writing some PowerShell code to look at some BAT files and then reconfigure them according to my scripts logic.  That all works flawlessly.  The problem is some extra bits added to the beginning of each line. I was using the Out-File cmdlet to save the new paths to the BAT file.  Take a look at this one line:

"Dir" | Out-FileLiteralPath "J:\PSTest.bat" 

 

Simple enough.  It created a BAT file call PSTest with only one command, “DIR”.  This is what happens when you run it.

image

What is the mysterious character in front of the “D”?  I tried to implement this in several different ways.  File redirection using “>>” did not work.  It yielded the same results.  I also tried the –encoding parameter of Out-File.  Same result. Using Get-Content in PowerShell, Type in DOS, or even opening the file in Notepad would produce a normal looking file.  No signs of the mysterious character. I finally settled on Add-Content.

Add-Content will add a line of text to a text file.  Since this file would be changing often, I had to include code that would test for the existence of the file and remove it if it was already there:

# See is a configuration file already exists.

# Make sure it is empty.

If (Test-Path -Path "J:\PSTest.bat")

{

    Remove-Item "J:\PSTest.bat"

}

 

Now I can add as many commands as I want by calling Add-Content.

Add-Content -Path "J:\PSTest.bat" -Value "DIR"

 

Now the mysterious character is no longer present and the batch file will execute normally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.