Skip to main content

TechEd 2012 Day 2

Where to start? Microsoft clearly listened to its customers with the development of Sever 2012. After sitting through a presentation on the new features of Active Directory, it was clear that Microsoft addressed many issues. These issues involved problems with large AD deployments, interfaces for the administrator, and also deployment of new domain controllers. Several of the these I was very happy to see. Now I can demonstrate to my students what aspects of Windows Server 2008 R2 management they want in a GUI, is now in a GUI.
I also had a chance to sit in a seminar on MDT and Windows 8 as well as a chance to do a hands on lab with the new MDT version. With the continued march towards IPv6, I also took an opportunity to expand my knowledge of IPv6 and to try out the IPAM (IP Address Management).
By far the highlight of my day was meeting with June Blender Rogers, Senior Programming Writer for Windows PowerShell. We had a very energetic conversation over the feedback from my students and I hope I can get her conferenced called into one of my upcoming PowerShell classes to get direct feedback from people just starting out with PowerShell.  Her contribution to PowerShell is of keen interest not only to beginners, but seasoned professionals as well.
2012-06-12_12-52-28_356
Hard at work on a hands on lab.
2012-06-12_08-11-06_213
Yes, those are arcade games from the 80’s.  The lines to play them are so long, I have not been able to get to a single one all week.
 
2012-06-12_08-12-57_979
Windows 8 Keynote.
 
2012-06-12_09-53-09_198
 
2012-06-12_12-30-19_445
Now this is a door prize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.